ECSN Award 2016
- European Award for Excellence in Concrete
Every two years the ECSN will now be organising the European Award for Excellence in Concrete. This Award is financed from the ECSN.
To recognise excellence in the use of concrete in new structures, the ECSN will award Certificates of Excellence in concrete.
- Projects eligible for entry in the competition
Complete or parts of buildings and civil engineering projects that are designed constructed and built in ESCN member countries. In these structures, concrete should have been used and be clearly visible, and show good and innovative use of concrete.
Most important criteria are the uses of concrete in outstanding, aesthetic and excellent ways. Amongst others, all structures will be judged against the following criteria
- Visual appearance and harmony of the structure with its surroundings
- Properties of concrete exploited in the design
- Innovative use of concrete in composition, structure or form
- Workmanship and finish
There are two categories:
- Civil Engineering
Each member country of the ECSN is asked by the board of the ECSN to nominate a structure completed during the previous two years. Nomination is only possible by way of a member of the ECSN. No individual companies or organisations can submit an entry.
- The awards
The Awards will consist of 'Certificates of Excellence' to be given in respect of those structures selected by the judging panel, to each of the principal parties responsible for the structure, e.g. Client, Architect, Engineer and Contractor, and to producers and suppliers of materials which have made a significant contribution of the success of the structure.
The ECSN Secretary will send an invitation by way of emails to the ECSN partner countries. The ECSN partner countries decide which project(s) will be selected from their country. Entries should include the following:
- Information must be send via online form.
- Details of the structure and location, the name of the owner and the date of completion (in a structural sense). Details of companies involved in the project should also be given. Company names and contact details must be current and correct as these will be used for promotion and if appropriate in the preparation of an award certificate.
- An entry fee of Euro 250 for each project (non refundable).
- All available information including drawings, documentation, photos detailed description etc. that can be used to enable the judging panel to make clear judgement.
- At least two copies of 6 unmounted photographs of the structure under construction and when completed.
- Written approval of the Award submission from the project owner
- Property, rights
The ECSN reserves the right, without the payment of fees or royalties, to make whatever use it may consider desirable of all material submitted in connection with the entries, including the publication of photographs and names, and to select from the entries at its own discretion material for exhibition or publication, irrespective of the results of the award.
- Judging panel
The board of the ECSN will appoint a panel of five judges. Experts and specialists will be invited from the fields of:
The decision of the Judges shall be binding. The discretion of the Judges to make or withhold an award or awards is absolute. The Judges will enter into no discussion or correspondence relating to any decisions.
The Judges may decide not to issue an award(s) should entries be below the required standard.
- Closing dates for entries
Closing date for receipt of entries to the current Award will be 01 May 2016
- Announcement of results
Entrants will be notified as soon as the judging panel has reached a decision on the Certificates of Excellence Awards. Public announcement of the awards, will be the 27 October 2016 and will be subject of media presentation in all ECSN Countries as well as publication in ECSN Review.
The Awards will be presented every two years with the actual presentations of the awards being made in a different ECSN Member Country in each succeeding two-year period.
In 2016 the Awards will be presented during the AICAP Concrete Days 2016 in Italy, Rome, date 27 October 2016.
Each member of the ECSN will be asked to provide publicity for the Awards within their country.